Saturday, November 24, 2012

Audiobook Review: Between Heaven and Ground Zero

I received this book courtesy of Christian Audio for the purpose of writing a review.

Narrator Thoughts - I had mixed thoughts about the voice. Normally, I love it when authors read their own works because they can put their own emphasis into the words. But for this woman, the words came hard and slowly. Her emotions at times overwhelmed her. While it did garner sympathy, I'm not sure that she was ready to read her own words yet. Also for any quotes and scripture readings they had a different lady read them. All of those had poor recording quality which detracted from the message.

Book Thoughts - Overall I wasn't very pleased with the book. Even though she survived the horror of Tower 1 on 9/11, she seemed to look back on it all with a deep depression. She suffered from PTSD and looking back was very hard for her.
Maybe it was that I had hoped that faith would play a more central part in her accounts. Now by her own admission she has struggled in her faith and God had been put on a back burner, Until 9/11 came and shattered her world. Yet even as she was remembering, I felt like she didn't infuse the memories with hope. I know that 9/11 was a horrible tragedy, but I also know that through it God showed us some amazing examples of love.
She did however do an amazing job of showing you what it was like to be in one of the world trade centers as they fell. It also gave me more of a sense of what it was like before the towers fell. That aspect I enjoyed.
Some of her description of her walks with God since 9/11 were beautiful and thought-provoking.
Yet again I didn't like some of her conclusions about 9/11 and what it meant for Christians. She claims that with 9/11 the Apocalypse has began. I think that Biblically that is unsound, but will leave it to you to decide.
One final note is that I didn't think she organized her thoughts very well. Scriptures seemed to be thrown in for no apparent reason. Some stories didn't connect to what she was going through. I just seemed a little off to me.
As I said, overall I wasn't pleased with the book, but that may have been a matter of opinion. I leave it to you to make the final call.

To buy this or other titles, please visit the book site www.christianaudio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment