Sunday, September 26, 2010

Talents and How to Use Them Part 4

Teaching


Teaching. Does that word give you chills? It gave me chills for a long time. I had so much that I wanted to share. I wanted to help point others to God. I wanted to show others God’s love.

But I always felt that I wasn’t a good teacher. I stammered and faltered. I was a bit of a scatter brain and clueless as to how to teach.

Then one day, I was asked to teach a homemaking class. I paused. I thought, I want to do this, but can I? After all I’m just an ordinary teenager. How can I teach a class? What if I fail?

As I struggled, one of the things that I realized was that I was more afraid of failure than anything else. I wasn’t afraid of planning or my students, I was afraid of failure and the unknown.

Needless to say. God came and helped me overcome this. He helped me to see that He would be in me and would help me.

I said I would take the place of head teacher of the class. Sometimes all we need to do to overcome fear is to face it head on. I found out that your fear lessens when you take it on.

After a lot of preparation and prayer, I went and taught my first class. I was amazed at how easy it was. We did a craft and talked about homemaking. It was surprisingly easy. They’re learning (hopefully) and I’m getting to help. It’s a rewarding and fun.

If you want to share some of what God or your parents have taught you, but are afraid of failure or teaching, can I encourage you? Face your fears. Don’t let them rule you. If you want to teach, let the Spirit be your guide. Follow God’s lead and let Him show you wonderful things.

No comments:

Post a Comment