Friday, May 24, 2013

When You Don't Feel Like Doing It

Today I woke up with a ridiculous amount of work to do. Sticky notes and lists cluttered every area of available space. Work that had piled up lay scattered around the room. I was overwhelmed. I spent most of the morning running around trying frantically to put a dint in the ever growing pile of work.

Have you ever had times like that? You just wonder how you are ever going to make this deadline? Write that blog post? Finish that project? Complete the work you've been given?

Today I'm wondering how I can get this list done. The sad thing is, I don't feel like doing any of it. All I want to do is rest and shut out the world for a while. That's what I feel like doing. But that's not what I should be doing.

I've spent most of today worrying, complaining, and frantically trying to in my own strength complete my work. But this is only because I don' see the reality of what is.

What is the reality I'm missing? The fact that if I don't finish this project, the world won't end. The fact that no matter how I feel, I'm loved more than I ever know. The fact that neither bad or good feelings can make me any less a Child Of God. The fact that I don't have to do this work alone. God is in me to help me sort this out. The fact that life is beautiful and meant to be enjoyed not rushed through. The fact that this is just a passing time, it won't last forever.

No I don't have it all together. Yes I really didn't want to do some of this work today. But with God's help and by slowing down enough to realize what I have in Christ, my perspective changed. I'm not alone, and I'm not as stressed as when I started this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment