Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

May God bless you.

About this time we reflect on the previous year and start planning the next one.

Last year at this time I knew exactly what I wanted to do with 2010. I wanted to spend more time with family, I wanted to join a Christian drama group, and I wanted to learn some more sign language. I made my plans and then I tried to implement them.

I was able to spend more time with family and learn some new signs, but no matter how hard I tried I wasn't able to find a drama group. I tried everything, but all my effort turned up nothing. So I kept busy with writing, family, and Bible study, but life seemed somehow stilted. Something didn't seem right. I felt like there was something more that I was supposed to be doing. I felt like life was slowing down, but only to make room for something more. Yet I didn't have the foggiest notion what that was supposed to be.

I did a lot of praying and waiting. I continued to do normal things and wait.

It wasn't until the end of July that God brought three things into my life. 1 I had a friend call me up and ask if I wanted to teach a homemaking class at a local co-op. I was nervous but I agreed. 2 I became a contributor to a blog writing homemaking and book review columns. 3 A friend surprised me with the news that she was engaged and would I help with the wedding.

Literally in one week, God answered all of my prayers. He provided me with things to do and with people to share life with.

The next few months were a whirl of activity and fun. God allowed me to do some amazing things, some of which I've written about of this blog. God gave me not only things to do, but friends.

The only wish that was left unfulfilled of the year was to join a drama group. I thought that dream wouldn't be fulfilled, so I gave up on it. God had different plans. Midway through our co-op semester someone asked me if I wanted to help with a drama group ion the coming year. :) I could hardly believe it. I was even more astonished when they used a play I had written and asked me to play the main character. It was amazing. God gave me what I had been asking for, but in a place I didn't expect.

Why am I telling you all this? If there's one thing I have learned from this year it's that you can make plans, but God is the only one that can make things happen.

If you want to make plans, new years resolutions, set some new goals, do so. But make sure to leave room for God to change them if He needs to.

God knows what He is doing. Let Him make your plans.

In 2011 I don't know all of what God will do. But for now, I can rest that God has all of that under control. All I need to do is wait and see what He does.

No comments:

Post a Comment